Monday 7 November 2011

Week 3, Day 1 part 2

My day began, as you may have read, later than usual, classes beginning at 1:30. I had writing class, which is becoming very frustrating, however I'm doing pretty well. I got 2 assignments back, 80% on each of them, and on one I was given the opportunity to re-write, so I'm going for 100% on it! I also got a 90% on my SPEC in that class, so I'm keeping up to my own standards of at least 80% on everything so far. The math class that followed writing class explained everything I had a little trouble with last night; it was so simple I was overlooking it, but then we added a whole new portion of food costing that will take a bit of studying to understand thoroughly. After food costing, myself and one of my classmates made a poolish for pastry class tomorrow morning. It is basically a pre-ferment that will be added to the bread in the morning when we make it. This allows it to ferment all night and add a lot to the bread when we bake it. Practical cookery followed, and it was the most awesome practical cookery class so far! Pan frying is the method of the week, and my dish was "Tournedos Vert-Pre"  Basically, take one of the most awesome cuts of meat from a beef tenderloin, pan fry it to medium rare perfection, serve it with some deep fried potatoes cut julienne, almost like little potato chip strips, and garnish with watercress. Not just a steak though, that would only be mostly awesome. Instead, you then take "Beurre Maitre d'hotel" and place a block of this amazing butter mustard lemon sauce that has been frozen on top of the steak, and throw the steak under a broiler for about 30 seconds to melt the creamy awesomeness all over it. Then you can eat it! This dish was only one of the awesome dishes made in my class this evening. We also made a version of Pork Schnitzel with Mushroom Gravy, Scalloped potatoes of sorts with a veal sausage, and this amazing chicken dish. I can write down the actual names if anyone wants, just leave a comment on facebook or underneath if you can and I'll get back to you. Pictures are included below as well, questions or comments will be answered. Sleep time now, I have to be up early to start a puff pastry for pastry class tomorrow morning so I'll write again in the evening.
























No comments:

Post a Comment