Saturday 12 November 2011

Week 3, day 5

Hello everyone, so sorry for the posts I have been missing, it has been one of the most stressful weeks so far this year for me and I have been up studying really late the past few nights.
I woke this morning to a chilly room, and then to snow as I left the house for body moves.  The snow is terrible, I hate snow. Anyhow, the past few days have been interesting. Warm weather, lots of classes, lots of projects that have been adding up, but since staying up from 4:30 until 11:00 last night with only a break to make a risotto for dinner, (which turned out fantastic) I believe I am 90% caught up. The last of the catching up will be for tonight or tomorrow. I have only my spec assignment for this week, and to study for my exam. My gastronomic writer in residence assignment, basically just an assignment on my favourite food, what it is, and why, was the first that I completed finally last night. There is a test today, so I studied for it. The test is on the effects of grains, and I chose the negative effects regarding cattle in particular and how it is very negatively affecting the health of cattle worldwide, but more importantly, how it is effecting our health. I will answer any questions about such topics if anyone has any, or just wants to know more. I do have strong opinions, specifically with the food industry, and with my faith, so I won't argue with anyone over what is right or wrong, or force anything down anyones throat, but if you ask, don't argue with me, just accept that my views may be extremely strong regarding situations and I will respect your views as well. Anyhow... on to the rest of the week.
Practical cookery has been more and more interesting as the days go on, and I am learning a lot about pan frying and sauteing. I have pictures below of the dishes we cooked the past few days. I will be adding some more of the dishes that I will be preparing today. Unlike previous posts, I won't be listing of the dishes here in the blog... honestly because I don't want to dig through stacks of papers to try to find the french names at the moment, but if anyone has questions about what the dishes are, how we made them, or any other inquiries, I will be happy to answer them if you leave me a comment or question via facebook, or the comment section below.
I have a project regarding the renaissance period that needs to be completed this weekend, as well as some reading from our literature circle project book, 'wine and war' for wine class. During the tasting in wine class yesterday, I found that sickly sweet wines such as ice wines seem to be appreciated by most people, however I found it to be overpowering with a taste of..  how to describe it...   basically, a glass full of fermented sugar and wine.  The other wine we tasted was much dryer and subtle, and I really enjoyed it, although I can't remember what it was.


















































Practical cookery tonight, after culinary management, where I'm told we will be watching a short film, and then a test to follow from commodities on the effects of corn on cattle. Please wish me luck next week in my exams, as I am beginning to really worry, and I hope that I can present these dishes fantastically. Off to the study cave again for my test and to study my dishes for my exams, and for practical tonight. Pictures will be added on the weekend from tonight's practical class.

3 comments:

  1. Mom and I are really enjoying your blogs, Paul. Thanks for sharing all this with us.
    Don't get stressed, is is counterproductive...Breathe deep, do what you can without blowing any fuses..hehe
    I am praying for you.
    God bless,
    love Abuey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul,
    It's Eric Froats. I am a really into wine. I was first exposed to the whole culture of wine in California. Sine I have moved back to Canada I am becoming more and more fascinated by wine as Wendy's parents are Italian and make their own (it is divine). I am not a sweet wine lover. I do not enjoy Zin's or rose's, but I do thoroughly enjoy icewine. When I first attempted icewine I was given some suggestions...and I follow those suggestions through 'til today.
    Icewine is designed to be enjoyed aside from a meal...so not after, not before, it is its own element. Have many small opposing tastes on hand when enjoying the wine...so sip then eat an orange slice, sip then eat a piece of brie, sip then eat a salty cracker, sip then eat a strong tasting apple slice...and so on. It is amazing how the taste develops on the palate throughout the experience.
    No pressure to try it, but some comments from an icewine lover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Eric,

    I am learning quite a bit about wine, and i really do appreciate the input. I am taking the level one sommelier course through ISG, so hopefully I'll be able to understand more by the end of next year! For now, I know very little though, and I will try your suggestions, and I really thank you for them, and for reading my blog :) I will try to add more about the wine portion of this course that I'm taking, however we only have a wine class once a week. Thank you again,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete