Monday 4 July 2011

Monday

I definitely missed the last 2 posts cause I had no computer here 2 nights ago in my room with internet, and I just forgot yesterday... I know, it's not an excuse lol, but I'm not giving up on this blog. Anyhow, pretty good weekend, went to go to the conservation area yesterday, but there were way too many flies. Worked this morning, and it was pretty good. Didn't have to be up extra early this Monday because my kitchen manager is on vacation, so kind of a bonus :)   Paying for school this week, I'll be heading up to Stratford tomorrow to do so, and to look for an apartment this fall...  it's coming up pretty fast.  It's cherry season! so a cherry pie will be coming up soon :) whenever I can go get enough cherries to make it, and find the time. I'll post some pictures and write about it whenever it happens. My next big project however, is the traditional scottish recipe, Haggis. Today, I called some local butchers in order to try to get some ingredients. You'd be surprised how much harder it would be to get a sheep's liver, heart, and lungs, but more so how to get the stomach you have to boil it all in. For those who haven't tried this awesome meal, you're missing out. Don't let the ingredients discourage you,  it's cheap, and absolutely amazing. Served with 'neeps and tatties' (potatoes and sweet potatoes) it's an amazing dish. If you don't want to make it yourself, there's a bar in London called 'the Scots Corner' on Dundas where you can try it. anyhow, after calling numerous butchers, my ingredients should be all at my house by next wednesday hopefully. Should be interesting, I'll post a bunch of pictures, and I'll post my recipe if anyone requests afterwards, providing it turns out well. 
Tonight, I'm making shake and bake chicken lol, simple, but using fresh chicken from the market last week, and it will be cooked with potatoes, with chives. The chives in my garden are doing awesome, so this'll be the first time using them :) I'm pretty excited,... though it's the same thing that I get from the grocery store... but I grew it so it must be better!   I'll also be garnishing it with my parsely. The carrots in my garden are coming along, about 4 inch leaves now, so they should be good in a month or so hopefully. Only a few onions seem to be growing however, so I guess we'll see also in about a month. I'll take some pictures next week, or at the end of this week and post them up here. As for the grape vine, I'm told it takes a couple years, so It'll have to wait before I start posting on it and explaining how it either turned out well, or failed. Guess we'll see in a couple years.  I'll try to keep posting every day, and I'll try to take some pictures from Stratford tomorrow when I'm there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment