Thursday 27 October 2011

Week 1, day 4

Great day today :) especially for a Thursday. It is getting quite chilly up here in the northern southwestern ontario.  Ok, maybe not that north, but it feels like it! it was only about 2 or 3 degrees this morning. I COULD SEE MY BREATH!! So anyhow, our practical cookery class this morning was interesting. We created various salads, using the boiling method we have been learning all week. For those that don't know me, I do not eat salad, so for me to cook one, (which I didn't know was possible) and have to season accordingly through the process of creating it, and then to have to taste them all at the end, just seemed to me like a bad experience waiting to happen. After the introduction to the days lesson, recipes were given out to our small groups of 2. Being a brave individual, if I say so myself, (or stupid, however you look at it) I chose the "Leeks vinaigrette with Anchovies and eggs". I hate anchovies, but I'm trying my hardest to be an awesome chef someday, to be entirely honest with you. So, the worst sounding dish, and you might ask now, how would you boil a salad? Well, the method doesn't involve boiling an entire dish, but just including boiling in the process. In order to create this dish, the leeks must be boiled until the are soft, and then they are placed in the vinaigrette that was also prepared by us. They then soak in the vinaigrette until they are ready to be served. Something else that was very new today, was one of my very favourite aspects of food. I am an artistic person in nature, through visual arts, and music, and through my thought process, so when I was told that we were allowed to present the dish and make it "look beautifully artistic, and sexy" it made my morning so much better. So I certainly did that, and got a few compliments after the class by fellow classmates, and even had a few of them take pictures of it in particular on their cell phones. Most of the dishes looked very good, and I give credit to everyone, it was just a very exciting opportunity that I look forward to doing in the near future, and improving on. The tasting wasn't as bad as I expected, however I have not turned into an herbivore, and I am still much more content eating a rare piece of AAA grade new york striploin, over a few vegetables with oil and stuff on them. ( I know it's an understatement of a salad and I'm willing to listen to you argue to me about  it, however I will not reply to such comments) I just don't prefer salad, as stated a minute ago.
Wine class followed practical cookery, and it seems to be a very interesting course. I am looking forward to it every week, as we will be tasting new wines. I will hopefully be able to appreciate wine a lot more in the weeks to follow, as opposed to drinking it as if it were an "overpriced grape juice beverage". Commodities class followed, which is a very interesting class as well. Commodities being the foods we are using in the kitchens every day, starting this week with pastas. The origins will be discussed, as well as history, uses, methods of cooking, and many other facts that can't be found without a motivation to research them. Tons of homework, and the passing grade allowing me to proceed to level two shall be the fuel for my motivation, as well as the interesting aspect that comes with wanting to learn about the craft, or art of cooking. To now step a few hours back, the fish that we filleted yesterday tasted like a cheap, semi-tasteless whitefish as I expected, however for only 3 dollars, what else could I expect. Pictures of the 'Jelly Fish Sandwich' (be aware that it's not a jellyfish sandwich, but a jelly.. fish  sandwich) subtle difference, but it 'just might save your life' haha,... ok, maybe you didn't find the video funny, but I certainly did. If you haven't watched it, THEN WATCH IT because these past few sentences won't make any sense if you don't.

... ok, I just screwed up a sentence, it's late, and I"m tired, however, back to the sentence I didn't complete.  Pictures of the jelly fish sandwich are included, just for humour, it was not a meal that was consumed by anything more than a garbage pail. The spec assignment, to get back to school, is nearly completed. Just 1 more hour of work should do it, and I will be well on my way to worrying about how my mark will be on it. I will then be able to begin next week's spec assignment on poaching. Body moves class is tomorrow, and it is a full day, so I will describe it after it happens on tomorrow's blog post. Sorry about the poor typing, poor sentences, and random placement and time frame in todays blog, I am very tired and have quite a bit on my mind at the moment regarding school, work, assignments, etc. so I apologize, however I hope you enjoy reading about my quite awesome day. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment